In 1924 a group of Greek Shopkeepers in the inner city area of Sydney decided to lease some floor space so that they could meet during their leisure hours. These meetings brought about formation of a Club which they named the Hellenic Club. All the National celebrations and concerts were held in these premises for many years. The early pioneers who started this idea such include the families of the Louisons, Soulos, Pangas, Gravas and Georgiadis
The Hellenic Club was primarily a sporting and businessmen's Club. The Club was originally opened for membership to Greeks from all parts of Greece however, by 1958 it was open to other approved applicants.
On 4 December, 1926, the Hellenic Club was incorporated and it served to bring future generations of Greek migrants together. During these early days the Club was supported the Greek Orthodox Church and assisted in the building of the St Sophia Church. The Club also assisted the financing of the Greek Archdiocese.
For many years, the membership of the Hellenic Club was restricted to sixty (60) persons. However, during the World War II all Greeks serving in the Armed Forces were accepted as honorary members and had the use of all facilities available, at that time, on those premises.
The club began to grow and the directors increased the membership and allowed younger members with new ideas on the Board. The Board of Directors, with the new members, thought fit to sell Adams Chambers (which was purchased by the Club in the 1940s) and purchase the property where the present Club stands and which was eventually built on and called Hellenic House. On 19 October, 1959 the Hellenic Club was officially opened by the then Premier Mr JJ Cahill.
The plan was to accommodate various Greek establishments in this building, such as the Greek Consulate, the Tourist Organisation, the Greek Chamber of Commerce and the National Bank of Greece, central office for the Greek Archdiocese and for Greek professionals such as doctors, solicitors, accountants and so on, however, but these efforts did not succeed.
The other alternative was to house Greek Organisations such as the Greek Sub-Branch of the R.S.L., the A.H.E.P.A., the Greek Young Matrons, The Pan-Hellenic Soccer Club and many others which proved very lucrative and helped pay off the many debts which the Club had accumulated during its construction.
The Hellenic Club will always maintain its current activities in the future and its main consideration to utilise future income to build retirement facilities for the aged and to maintain and promote the Greek culture in its new building for future generations. The club currently offers sponsorship, donations and assistance to a wide range of organisations and individuals.
Thank you to our generous club members, family and friends who have donated images and photos found on The Hellenic Club Sydney website, and special thanks to the collection donated by the late George Pappas.